After poking around for too long, I finally found the solution to connecting to a standard Windows server PPTP VPN from LinuxMint 17. (from geeky.name) I’m posting here to make it easy to find again.
- Click the NetworkManager Applet
- VPN Connection -> Configure VPN -> -> Add
- Choose -> Create
- Fill out those gateway, username, password and click Advanced
- In Authentication section, CANCEL <PAP>, <CHAP>, and <EAP>, KEEP ONLY <MSCHAP> and <MSCHAPv2> SELECTED.
- In Security and Compression section, SELECT <Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE)>, and choose Security to be <All Available (Default)>
OK -> Accept -> Close
- Now click the NetworkManager Applet
- Click VPN Connection and click the profile you just created.
- Wait for few seconds till it get connected.