A New Home is Built, for Worms

My project today was to get a worm farm started. I bought some plywood and lumber. (non-treated because I hear that is bad for worm life)


I cut most of the wood to start with. I used 2x4s instead of 2x2s or 1x2s because they were cheaper, and I don’t know why.

Several hours later, I had a coffin-like box. It measures 6’x2’x1′, and has a removable divider in the center to create two 3’x2’x1′ chambers.

Drilled some 1″ holes in the bottom to let it drain and let air in.

Made some simple lids. I put a lip on them so you can grab it easily when you need to remove it.

I perforated the center divider to allow the worms to cross the border as desired. Every month or so, when it is time to remove the castings, I’ll prepare the other side with fresh bedding and start placing food in that other side. After a week or so, all the worms will move over to the side with food, and I’ll be left with the nutrient rich remains.

I rubbed the inside surface with linseed oil (not supposed to harm worms) and put two coats of primer on the outside. Tomorrow, I’ll paint a coat of exterior paint on it, add my shredded paper, put it in a shady spot, then go get me a pound of worms.

This entry was posted in Gardening, Projects and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to A New Home is Built, for Worms

  1. Maryanne says:

    Let me know if you need any scraps to go in it!! I’m so intrigued by all this. Very interesting! :)

  2. Brian says:

    I’ll let you know, I’m going to have to figure out how much food the worms can handle… They are supposed to breed quickly and adjust to whatever quantity you feed them. Thanks!

  3. BigKen says:

    I see quite a bit of ‘fishing’, in Brian and Bryson’s, future. hehehehe

Comments are closed.