I’m a big fan of open source software, especially the GNU/Linux system, and I’ve been using it at home on my main computer for years now. I’ve found excellent alternatives to (almost) every piece of software I used under Windoze with the exception of the neat little free 3D CAD software package from google called SketchUp. Open source CAD software options seem to still be lacking in the GNU world, so I wanted a way to use this program when I wanted to. Rather than setup a multi-boot situation (which prevents you from using all your normal apps while you are booted in the ‘other’ OS), I decided to try to setup a virtual machine.
A quick scan of the available software in the Ubuntu repository made me think VirtualBox looked popular, so I clicked ‘install’ to see what would happen. After it installed (and I’d like to mention how amazingly easy installing Linux software has become — literally a single click from a menu and you are done — can’t believe it has progressed this far from the days of nightmarish dependency problems and configuration file hell). When you run VirtualBox, you can create a new machine, and you specify how much memory and hard drive space to dedicate for it, then you install whatever OS you want on it. I had an unused WinXP license, so that is what I created. It figures out when your keyboard clicks and mouse motions are supposed to control your host OS or the guest machine. Everything worked without a glitch, which was a very nice surprise. Now, anytime I have the desire to use the evil OS which still has 85% of the desktop market share, all I need to do is turn on VirtualBox, tell it to boot up my WinXP machine, and boom, I have a Windoze box running right on my desktop, where I can still have all my nice, comfortable, better-society-friendly open-source applications running!
- Quadrasteer / Dana 60 Axle Differences and Similarities
- W123 / 300D EGR, ARV, and ALDA systems
- Do the Circle of Safety Walk
- Quadrasteer / Dana 60 Rebuild How-To (ring, pinion, carrier replacement)
- Poem to Mom (Mean Old Mother)
- Hanging Strawberry Planter Box
- Pictures: Canoe Trip to Caddo Lake / Goat Island
- Comparing Plants Grown in Aquaponics and Soil
- Trick to Activate Windows XP
- Stepper Motor Pictures
- Tony on HMI Screen – WIP Tanks
- Tony on Relay Terminal Standard Numbers
- Frank Erardi on Quadrasteer / Dana 60 Axle Differences and Similarities
- Brian on Texas Firearm Protection Act (HB 1076)
- Ryan on Trick to Activate Windows XP
- Angela Reum on Do the Circle of Safety Walk
- Barbara Harless on Texas House – Is This a Waste of Money?
- Brian on Trick to Activate Windows XP
- Warr on Trick to Activate Windows XP
- David on Cowards, Sellouts, or Just Inept?
- Pictures and Memes – May 13, 2013
- HMI Screen – WIP Tanks
- Relay Terminal Standard Numbers
- Barack Obama is One of the Worst Civil Libertarians this Country has Ever Had
- Pictures and Memes – May 15, 2013
- Pictures and Memes – May 12, 2013
- Pictures and Memes – May 8, 2013
- Pictures and Memes – May 6, 2013
- Pictures and Memes – May 4, 2013
- Texas Firearm Protection Act (HB 1076)