The list price of a sender unit is $340, so when my fuel level gauge stopped working, I was not very happy. I bought a portable 2 gallon tank and kept it full of fuel in the trunk of the car in case I ran out unexpectedly and I figured I would just leave it broke. That wasn’t good enough. I like gauges that work, what can I say! Luckily, the German designers of this car made taking the sender out possible without too much trouble. They positioned the box that houses the first-aid kit directly above the sender. It is a simple matter of unscrewing it and sliding it up. When I finally scraped enough gunk off of the bottom of it, I found a funny little nut to remove the inerads out of the protective tube. (looks like the tube also serves to dampen the fluid movement) I cleaned it up and installed it again, and now I have a working fuel gauge again! I think I’ll go ahead and keep that extra 2 gallons of fuel in the trunk though.
A note about what caused this: I left the car sit for about a year without driving it. Diesel fuel is often contaminated with microbes that grow and form nasty dark crystals on all the surfaces. You can buy biocide treatments, but they are not sold in all stores, and are a little hard to find. NAPA had a bottle that I used and hopefully cured my problems. Some diesel owners refuse to fill up at smaller stations because that is where the contaminated fuels usually come from: stations that don’t turn over their fuel supplies quickly.
- Quadrasteer / Dana 60 Axle Differences and Similarities
- W123 / 300D EGR, ARV, and ALDA systems
- Quadrasteer / Dana 60 Rebuild How-To (ring, pinion, carrier replacement)
- Do the Circle of Safety Walk
- Poem to Mom (Mean Old Mother)
- Hanging Strawberry Planter Box
- Pictures: Canoe Trip to Caddo Lake / Goat Island
- Comparing Plants Grown in Aquaponics and Soil
- Trick to Activate Windows XP
- Stepper Motor Pictures
- Tony on HMI Screen – WIP Tanks
- Tony on Relay Terminal Standard Numbers
- Frank Erardi on Quadrasteer / Dana 60 Axle Differences and Similarities
- Brian on Texas Firearm Protection Act (HB 1076)
- Ryan on Trick to Activate Windows XP
- Angela Reum on Do the Circle of Safety Walk
- Barbara Harless on Texas House – Is This a Waste of Money?
- Brian on Trick to Activate Windows XP
- Warr on Trick to Activate Windows XP
- David on Cowards, Sellouts, or Just Inept?
- Pictures and Memes – May 22, 2013
- Pictures and Memes – May 13, 2013
- HMI Screen – WIP Tanks
- Relay Terminal Standard Numbers
- Barack Obama is One of the Worst Civil Libertarians this Country has Ever Had
- Pictures and Memes – May 15, 2013
- Pictures and Memes – May 12, 2013
- Pictures and Memes – May 8, 2013
- Pictures and Memes – May 6, 2013
- Pictures and Memes – May 4, 2013