Yesterday just before sundown I was rushing to get my onion sets in the soil. I choose the bed that I had just prepared the soil in because the others had layers of hay and newspaper, and I figured it would make things difficult. I didn’t pay attention to the sun, take a look at this picture that was taken around 2:30pm.
So all those onions won’t be seeing any sun! Dang, that was a dumb mistake. I’ll now remember that the two southern beds are “mostly shade” in the winter months. Here is a close up of all the onions.
I planted another row of onions in the northern bed. I used an old worn out 1/2″ percusion drill bit. This worked much better than the little stick I was using yesterday. I poked right though the layers of mulch, newspaper, and hay.
Moved on to improving the soil in bed number 1. I removed some of the thick clay and placed it in that green container in the background, layered with hay. This is my experiment to see if I can raise some worms. I’ll have to go read up on how to run a worm farm. I added vermiculite and compost/greensand/lava sand to the soil.