I had some time to finally get something done that I’ve been wanting to do for a while now: Change out the pulley on Quadzillia’s supercharger to a smaller size, which makes it spin faster and pump more air into the engine. I’ve been doing things all along in preparation for this step: Ordered the larger blower, larger intercooler, switched to larger fuel injectors, upgraded my fuel pump, separated/relocated the air temperature sensor, and added the boost-referenced water/methanol injection system. This will be the last power upgrade for a while, as 13-14 psi is about the limit of the stock engine internals and the 6-rib belt used to drive the blower.
The actual pulley swap went easier than planned. I was worried that I would have to heat the pulley to get it off the shaft because of a tight fit, but it fit perfectly without a fight. I went ahead and took the whole bracket and blower off so I could get it all cleaned up. (it was pretty nasty) I found one of the idler pulleys was noisy and had play in it. Once I got a look at it, I found the dust cap was off and the balls were rusty and a few were missing. I also went ahead and finally lengthened the alternator cable and relocated the “jumper cable attach point” out of the way.
So the project turned out to take much more effort than planned for. Quadzillia is currently out of service, waiting on a couple of bearings that I couldn’t get on a Sunday. Hopefully I’ll be able to get it back together tomorrow and start the process of re-tuning the engine to work with all that extra air!
I’m hoping this will take me to over 500HP at the rear wheels now. If everything works good, I’ll pay for some dyno pulls to find out.
A video of me spinning the blower by hand is here. The noise and gear backlash are properties of the 1:4 step-up gear box, which helps make that wonderful whine I love so much.